top of page

Methanol (CH3OH) Uses and Side Effects

Methanol, also known as wood alcohol, is a chemical compound that is widely used in a variety of industries and applications. It is a colorless, flammable liquid with a sweet, fruity smell, and is a key component in the production of a variety of chemicals and materials.


One of the primary uses of methanol is in the production of a variety of chemicals, including formaldehyde, acetic acid, and methyl t-butyl ether (MTBE). It is also used as a solvent, fuel, and antifreeze.


Despite its many useful properties, methanol is toxic and can be harmful to human health. Here are some of the possible health effects of methanol exposure:

  1. Respiratory problems: Methanol can cause respiratory problems, including difficulty breathing, coughing, and wheezing. Prolonged exposure to high concentrations of methanol can lead to more serious respiratory problems.

  2. Eye irritation: Methanol can cause irritation to the eyes, leading to redness, watering, and discomfort. In severe cases, methanol exposure can lead to vision problems.

  3. Skin irritation: Methanol can cause irritation to the skin, leading to redness, itching, and discomfort. In severe cases, methanol exposure can lead to more serious skin problems.

  4. Nervous system effects: Methanol can affect the nervous system, leading to symptoms such as headache, dizziness, and confusion. In severe cases, methanol exposure can lead to more serious nervous system problems.

  5. Poisoning: Methanol can be poisonous if ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. Symptoms of methanol poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In severe cases, methanol poisoning can lead to more serious health problems, including coma and death.

It is important to avoid exposure to methanol as much as possible. If you are working in an industry where you may be exposed to methanol, it is important to take precautions to protect yourself, such as wearing protective clothing and using respiratory protection. It is also important to regularly monitor gas exposure to ensure that safe levels are not exceeded.

3 views0 comments
bottom of page